Enjoy an unspoiled northern experience.
Offering Basic and Level-1 Kayak Skills Course(s)
What: A two day Kayak certification course offered through Paddle Canada.
When: July 4 and 5, 2019.
Where: meeting at the church docks. A more central location can be arranged according to participants’ location.
Cost: $200 CDN for two days’ instruction.
Instructor: Ken Garland (email firstname.lastname@example.org)
• No prior kayak experience is necessary.
• Completion of the Paddle Canada Sea Kayak Level 1 Skills course will help you build the skills, knowledge and confidence necessary for day-long sea kayaking trips in sheltered waters and the foundation for further development for rougher waters.
• I have Instructor certification through Paddle Canada, the organization that sets national standards for Sea Kayaking.
• These courses are fun, but make no mistake about it – you will get wet! Classes are small (usually 2-5 people) and are held over two days. . These are not the small recreational kayaks, but 16 - 18 footers.
• All equipment is provided: 16’ to 18’ sea kayak with skirt, paddle and PFD.
Some of the subjects and skills covered include:
• Entering and exiting a kayak from a beach, shore or dock.
• Safely capsize, exit and retrieve a swamped kayak and swim it back to shore.
• Capsize and re-enter a kayak in deep water with assistance from another paddler.
• Capsize and re-enter a kayak on your own, without assistance.
• Forward and reverse paddling techniques.
• Turning sweeps, edging to efficiently maneuver a kayak.
• Moving a kayak sideways (draws)
• Bracing to avoid a capsize.
• Towing and bow rescue.
• Parts of a kayak, various types of kayaks and paddles.
• Proper use of safety equipment and devices.
• Injury prevention.
• Choosing a kayak that is right for your needs and price range.
• Journeying, seamanship, judgement, communication.
• Planning for a day trip, including packing, basic navigation and weather monitoring.
• Kayaking resources and heritage.
If you think that you might be interested, send Ken an e-mail at email@example.com
You can also text Richard Pardoe (T.P. 1900 Parcel 343) at 289-527-6810. (Ken is on a kayak trip on Lake Superior until June 23rd)